Leaving Brasilito and on to Monteverde

I went to church with Magda on my last evening in Brasilto. We walked into the church and I sighed. Ahh! Air conditioning! We arrived around 4:45 p.m. and the services started at 5:30. Magda showed me the Patron Saint of Costa Rica. He was in a glass box and truly a treasure to behold. Shortly after 5:00, the power went out for an hour.

Oh, no! My little bit of cool air was quickly gone. It became stifling hot in the church and it was almost hard to breathe. There wasn’t any wind and it became hot and humid so fast. The priest and the speakers used their cell phones to shine light on the words they were reading. There weren’t any musical instruments but the parishioners sang a cappella. I understood only a few words including amen, caminar, and Jesus Cristo. Still working on that vocabulary! I really needed everybody to slow down their speaking and I might have been able to double the number of words I understood! During the last half hour the electricity came back on but it was already so hot in there it never really cooled down. Although it did become easier to breathe. (Magda and Romiro’s house in Brasilito.)

After church we walked right next door to friends of Magda’s. Their house is right on the main street in Brasilito and you can see the beach and the Pacific Ocean from their house.

Their house seems to be a gathering place and lots of people dropped by to sit and talk. They also sell carne asada right in front of their place. I can’t describe how good it smelled! We bought one plate of carne asada, cabbage salad, and plantain chips. Delicioso! (Magda and Romiro)

Magda flies to the US about once a year to visit her daughter-in-law and grandchildren (her son passed away two years ago.) I invited her to come to Las Vegas and stay with us. She has invited both John and me to come back again! Pura Vida!

On Sunday morning, I took the Interbus to Monteverde and we stopped at the same rest stop as on my way to Flamingo. I think it was in the city of Limon. This time a toucan can right down to greet us. The bus driver showed us that the bird liked to be petted on the back of his neck so I got to pet a toucan. He was very handsome and he seemed to know it. Don't you agree he is extremely handsome? I also saw a couple of parrots grooming and then squawking at each other.

The second half of the ride was much different. We left sea level and the small hills and climbed the mountains to an elevation of 5,900 feet on meandering, extremely rocky roads with many potholes. Once we arrived, we ate a delicious lunch of chicken, rice, potatoes, and tortillas. The sauce was really fabulous! My new host mama, Gloriana, took her daughter Fiorella (11) and me downtown to a shabby chic coffee and tea shop called Dulce Aroma.

I had a delicious frozen chai tea. We walked in central Monteverde for a bit; and then we purchased some groceries before heading home in a taxi. Seems like they make use of a lot of taxis. Some of the roads are pretty steep here.

It was clear, sunny, and warm when I arrived. Shortly after we went to town, the cloud mist rolled in. It was still warm, but cooler and fresher. It stayed fairly clear until after we got back home again. Then a thunderstorm hit. It sounded as if the thunder was right on top of us.

Comments

  1. What is the temperature like over there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Brasilito, it was very hot and humid. Although the temperature said it was around 90 degrees, the humidity made it feel much hotter. The Weather Channel typically said it felt like 100-103 degrees. A short time of this is fine, but sleeping with only a ceiling fan and no air conditioning is another thing. I was so hot!!! In Monteverde it is much cooler. The temperature is about 65 degrees and there is a lot of rain. It is warm enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt when the wind isn't blowing. It feels a bit damp and cool when it is raining.

      Delete
  2. Hope you are having a great summer, Camilla!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rescate Animal ZooAve

I am a Fund For Teacher Fellow 2019!

Sailing, SUPping, and Snorkeling - Oh, my!